Question: Did Somebody Just Murder Peaches? 12-09-17

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Sometimes you write just to get things off your chest. So I write this now because yesterday my chest was very nearly an ex-chest. Somebody inflicted GBH on Peaches. And damn near killed me.

I stay at work in a quiet corner of the car park next to a field on the edge of Exmoor during the week. It’s too far for a daily commute, until I start my new job in Plymouth. But this week we have our old buddies Eric and Ivana in from Bratislava for a couple of days home here in Totnes. They were going to come to work with me to see a British school – until they clocked Totnes (and realised it would mean leaving at 6:30am) and decided to spend the day here. Cooked us a meal for when we got home – nice house guests! So I was at home Monday night. Tuesday was the early commute of 65 miles. I am a few miles from work on the windy (as in winding not blowing) A road along the Exe Valley between Tiverton and Bampton, driving quite nicely if I may say so myself, when a truck appears round the corner on the wrong side of the road, trying to overtake a line of cars at speed. It is true what they say. Time does slow down to milliseconds. There is this truck heading straight for me on the wrong side of the road outside a line of cars into which he can not pull in. He fills my windscreen. I swerve on to the verge on the wooded bank down to the river and come to stop. The flatbed slams into Peaches’ door, carving her open like a can of tuna fish, straight through the steel. With the mirror gone I can not see what happened behind me next. No-one was seriously hurt but all are very shaky when details are exchanged.

So I limp to work with Peaches’ offside a mess. Then to the insurance phone calls. They send out a rescue truck which arrives after an hour and forty minutes. My body has stopped shaking but has now started aching. I go with the man in the rescue vehicle towards home. But the insurance broker had not informed the insurance company of our recent change of address, who in turn had not informed the rescue company so they are only contracted to take me to my old address six miles away. There I was left for a couple of hours. Then there is a phone call from the new rescue vehicle. They have reversed the job details so are now at Station Road Totnes, home, rather than Station Road Bampton, old home. I sit in Peaches , photograph the damage and worry that she is a write-off.

The doorframe is detached from the sub-frame and the door itself is just carved up into sharp jagged steel.

I look at the fridge magnets – all the countries she has seen us through – the stickers from festivals. I contemplate the trinkets we hang around Peaches for a homely feel, keep getting flashbacks of that truck on the wrong side of the road filling my windscreen and feel unspeakably sad that she may well turn out to be a victim of murder, not just GBH. At least Eric and Ivana had stayed at home. Memories of all the good times with Peaches float around my head during the next three hours of waiting. I am home at six, but still worried that the insurance assessor may write Peaches off. I need to go to the quack’s tomorrow… and sort out the assessor….

With thanks to the BrazziBay Forum and my friends there for their amazing support:

Subject: Re: Is it RIP Peaches?   Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:03 pm

Steve,  Jo  TigerLily and Carra the Child lovin’ Golden Cocker
So hope Peaches can be fixed up. Please keep us posted and please stay positive.  Devastating news, just so glad that you came through this terrible event and can recount it to us.
TimV

AdminCabin : Flight 001

Age : 51

Location : Leatherhead, UK.

BraziBay Name : Max/Tango

Kombi Year/Registration : 2004 AN04 BAY/ 2005 AN05 BAY

LHD/RHD? : RHD/LHD

Posts : 12569

Join date : 2009-09-27

Subject: Re: Is it RIP Peaches?   Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:28 pm

—-

Blimey Pete sorry to see this.

Depending on how flexible your insurance company are and how they currently value Peaches – with regards to her mileage and condition otherwise, she may be repaired. The hardest job will be sourcing a new Brazilian door.

Keep us posted please?
Max SportzKombi – The Bay Racer and Tango – the Fizzy Kombi
@brazilianvwbay

wheatypete

Cabin : Club
Age : 54
Location : Devon
BraziBay Name : Peaches
Kombi Year/Registration : 2009
LHD/RHD? : LHD
Posts : 47
Join date : 2013-06-25

Subject: Re: Is it RIP Peaches?   Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:43 pm
Thanks for the kind words BeakyBoy, I am pretty pee-ed off right now, but that helps.  And thanks Tim for your response.  I will try to remain positive.  I will not give up my Peachy that easily!
dizzylizard

Cabin : Exec 018
Age : 72
Location : Bradford-on-Avon, Wilts and Bristol
BraziBay Name : Dizzy
Kombi Year/Registration : A RIO BAY
LHD/RHD? : RHD
Posts : 2050
Join date : 2011-09-20

Subject: Re: Is it RIP Peaches?   Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:56 pm

—-

Sorry to hear about this Pete, I’m sure you will get loads of support from everyone here.

I know the Brazilian doors are hard to source Tim, but apart from the swage line, do the standard doors fit. The swage line appears to be cosmetic, and I was wondering if a decent panel beater/bodywork man could add a swage line to match, I was thinking along the lines of something that could be attached to the door and over-painted. I’m probably way out, but just a thought.

Scooby

Cabin : Flight 004
Location : Reading
BraziBay Name : Scooby
Kombi Year/Registration : 2006
LHD/RHD? : RHD
Posts : 7113
Join date : 2010-12-12

Subject: Re: Is it RIP Peaches?   Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:01 pm

—-

Sorry to read about Peaches, but glad you are all OK.
Doo remain positive and as others have said doo keep us informed of any progress.
Proud winners of Spike’s Trophy 2017

Scooby – Born To Run

harryhornet

Cabin : Exec 027
Age : 49
Location : Fair Oak, Hampshire
BraziBay Name : Eddie
Kombi Year/Registration : 2006 T2 VWE
LHD/RHD? : LHD
Posts : 2415
Join date : 2012-04-19

Subject: Re: Is it RIP Peaches?   Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:32 pm

—-

Sorry to see this. Don’t lose hope, there must be a Brazibay out there that’s being broken up and sold as parts and has a new donor door for Peaches.

TimV

AdminCabin : Flight 001

Age : 51

Location : Leatherhead, UK.

BraziBay Name : Max/Tango

Kombi Year/Registration : 2004 AN04 BAY/ 2005 AN05 BAY

LHD/RHD? : RHD/LHD

Posts : 12569

Join date : 2009-09-27

Subject: Re: Is it RIP Peaches?   Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:36 pm

—-

I wish someone would just import used panels from Brazil!!

If no one else here wants to, then I will!!
Max SportzKombi – The Bay Racer and Tango – the Fizzy Kombi
@brazilianvwbay

Marco silva

Cabin : Business
Location : woking
BraziBay Name : no name
Kombi Year/Registration : None
LHD/RHD? : lhd
Posts : 28
Join date : 2017-02-01

Subject: Re: Is it RIP Peaches?   Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:01 pm

—-

I’m about to start to import some parts from Brazil ( new and used) just need some advice about which parts are in high demand…. maybe a partner too…..

TimV

AdminCabin : Flight 001

Age : 51

Location : Leatherhead, UK.

BraziBay Name : Max/Tango

Kombi Year/Registration : 2004 AN04 BAY/ 2005 AN05 BAY

LHD/RHD? : RHD/LHD

Posts : 12569

Join date : 2009-09-27

Subject: Re: Is it RIP Peaches?   Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:02 pm

Doors!!!
Max SportzKombi – The Bay Racer and Tango – the Fizzy Kombi
@brazilianvwbay

TimV

AdminCabin : Flight 001

Age : 51

Location : Leatherhead, UK.

BraziBay Name : Max/Tango

Kombi Year/Registration : 2004 AN04 BAY/ 2005 AN05 BAY

LHD/RHD? : RHD/LHD

Posts : 12569

Join date : 2009-09-27

Subject: Re: Is it RIP Peaches?   Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:03 pm

—-

Classic Bay doors will fit @dizzylizard but the hinges need altering.
Max SportzKombi – The Bay Racer and Tango – the Fizzy Kombi

BraziBay Name : Dizzy
Kombi Year/Registration : A RIO BAY
LHD/RHD? : RHD
Posts : 2050
Join date : 2011-09-20

Subject: Re: Is it RIP Peaches?   Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:18 am

Morning Pete, hope you are well. Having had another look at your pictures in the cold light of day I’m sure that Peaches is repairable, however the insurance company, who are only going to look at the situation in monetary terms, may, and it is only a may, look at it differently, ie suggest a write off sum.

All is not lost though, if they consider it a write off, it will probably be a category C or D which means it may be worth you considering buying Peaches back off them and having her repaired yourself. Here are a couple of links that may help.

If the worst happens, it may be worth getting a body shop that deals with kombis to give you an estimate of a repair cost, armed with that you can work out, from what the insurance company offer as a buy back cost, if it feasible. I reckon it will be, as we all know the true value. The insurance company, on the other hand will sell the vehicle to a dealer who will either repair it (most likely) or break it for spares, and we know what spares can fetch.

A few points worth noting from the links are:-

1. You still own the vehicle up to the time you accept the insurance company’s settlement figure, so you have the upper hand in any negotiations.

2. Deal directly with the person who is going to sign off the claim when negotiating, rather than a call centre handler. (I know this works having had a claim for my dog refused, until I spoke to someone in authority, when I pointed out they were wrong they paid up immediately  )

3. Even if you have to import a door from Brazil a repair could be cost effective.

Apologies for rambling on, but attempting to give you hope at a sad time

TimV

AdminCabin : Flight 001

Age : 51

Location : Leatherhead, UK.

BraziBay Name : Max/Tango

Kombi Year/Registration : 2004 AN04 BAY/ 2005 AN05 BAY

LHD/RHD? : RHD/LHD

Posts : 12569

Join date : 2009-09-27

Subject: Re: Is it RIP Peaches?   Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:35 pm

Nice post @dizzylizard.

Let’s get Peaches rebuilt whatever – she’s famous and deserves it after all her efforts with the refugees abroad. If you need me to provide an official valuation for her Pete, do let me know. I’m sure Danbury or Brazilian Kampers would also be happy to similarly reflect her worth.
Max SportzKombi – The Bay Racer and Tango – the Fizzy Kombi
@brazilianvwbay

TimV

AdminCabin : Flight 001

Age : 51

Location : Leatherhead, UK.

BraziBay Name : Max/Tango

Kombi Year/Registration : 2004 AN04 BAY/ 2005 AN05 BAY

LHD/RHD? : RHD/LHD

Posts : 12569

Join date : 2009-09-27

Subject: Re: Is it RIP Peaches?   Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:40 pm

—-

Here’s a door for starters:

Max SportzKombi – The Bay Racer and Tango – the Fizzy Kombi
@brazilianvwbay

beakyboy

Cabin : Flight 019
Age : 47
Location : Dover
BraziBay Name : TigerLily
Kombi Year/Registration : 2012 VE12DUB
LHD/RHD? : Rhd
Posts : 1820
Join date : 2012-05-23

Subject: Re: Is it RIP Peaches?   Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:40 pm

—-

I’ve sent an email to a contact in Brazil with respect to shipping/airfreighting a door to the UK to see if they could assist if you sourced one there. I can help with the Customs clearance in the UK should you go down that route.
Steve,  Jo  TigerLily and Carra the Child lovin’ Golden Cocker

Als

Cabin : Flight 060
Age : 52
Location : Warwickshire
BraziBay Name : Neville
Kombi Year/Registration : A R10 NEV
LHD/RHD? : RHD
Posts : 943
Join date : 2015-05-17

Subject: Re: Is it RIP Peaches?   Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:24 am

—-

I love a campaign – Pete this is so great everyone who can pulling together for you and Peaches – feel uplifted on this grey and cold day – I can’t do anything practical or offer any technical advice but Nev, Gary and I are rooting for you both

bob k

Cabin : Club
Age : 67
Location : Hanham Bristol
Kombi Year/Registration : 2009
LHD/RHD? : RHD
Posts : 89
Join date : 2009-09-29

Subject: Is it RIP Peaces   Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:37 pm

Hi
Having looked at the photos and having been in the trade a long long time ago, I would say it is repairable the door isn’t the problem its the A pillar that looks like it may need straightening out but with modern hydraulic jigs etc today this should not be  a problem. Hope I’m right and all the best
Bob

RayC

Cabin : Club
Location : Cheshire
Kombi Year/Registration : 2008
LHD/RHD? : Rhd
Posts : 382
Join date : 2014-05-01

Subject: Re: Is it RIP Peaches?   Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:00 am

—-

that’s fixable I’m sure as long as the main section around the door is not bent, I can get parts from brazil no issues and few do come up as scrap from big shunts if you check the salvage sites

wheatypete

Cabin : Club
Age : 54
Location : Devon
BraziBay Name : Peaches
Kombi Year/Registration : 2009
LHD/RHD? : LHD
Posts : 47
Join date : 2013-06-25

Subject: Re: Is it RIP Peaches?   Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:28 pm
I am pleased beyond words to report that Peaches has been resurrected!  I feel like my best friend has come back from touch and go surgery.  Thank you so much for the kind comments.  It was all a long and complicated saga of hire car idiots, an excellent coachworks shop in Exeter and some strange dealings with several random stranger-lawyers who somehow got ALL the details and phoned me asking me to beg for compensation.  How did they know all those details?  But in the end I am just glad to have the girl tickety-boo once more.  That makes me happy… very, very happy!

Last edited by wheatypete on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

TimV

AdminCabin : Flight 001

Age : 51

Location : Leatherhead, UK.

BraziBay Name : Max/Tango

Kombi Year/Registration : 2006
LHD/RHD? : RHD
Posts : 7113
Join date : 2010-12-12

Subject: Re: Is it RIP Peaches?   Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:49 am

FAB News

The Scooby Duo are so pleased for you.

What a great way to start 2018!
Proud winners of Spike’s Trophy 2017

Kombi Year/Registration : 2006
LHD/RHD? : RHD
Posts : 1580
Join date : 2010-09-04
Subject: Re: Is it RIP Peaches?   Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:51 pm

—-
Thats great news. Any after fix pics yet?

wheatypete
Cabin : Club
Age : 54
Location : Devon
BraziBay Name : Peaches
Kombi Year/Registration : 2009
LHD/RHD? : LHD
Posts : 47
Join date : 2013-06-25
Subject: Re: Is it RIP Peaches?   Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:28 pm

I will post as soon as we have the next trip away Abu-Phileas.

Scooby

Looking forward to some pics of ‘the new’ Peaches in 2018
Proud winners of Spike’s Trophy 2017

Scooby – Born To Run

TimV
AdminCabin : Flight 001
Age : 51
Location : Leatherhead, UK.
BraziBay Name : Max/Tango
Kombi Year/Registration : 2004 AN04 BAY/ 2005 AN05 BAY
LHD/RHD? : RHD/LHD
Posts : 12569
Join date : 2009-09-27
Subject: Re: Is it RIP Peaches?   Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:43 pm

—-
If she’s got new paint, surely she will be looking ‘peachy?!’
Max SportzKombi – The Bay Racer and Tango – the Fizzy Kombi
@brazilianvwbay

wheatypete
Cabin : Club
Age : 54
Location : Devon
BraziBay Name : Peaches
Kombi Year/Registration : 2009
LHD/RHD? : LHD
Posts : 47
Join date : 2013-06-25
Subject: Re: Is it RIP Peaches?   Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:53 pm

Peachy by name and peachy by paint, Tim.  At least some of her looks sparkly!  Scooby, there will certainly be some trips and pix this year.

PS: 17-06-18

A cheeky night away in the rain. Welcome back to the game Peaches!

One thought on “Question: Did Somebody Just Murder Peaches? 12-09-17”